Friday 14 August 2009

Picke of the Week

So here is the first pick of the week on UK Geeksville....drum roll please!

It's been a touch descision to pick THE FIRST Pick of the Week but here it is...............

Mozilla Thunderbird

OK you might be thinking this is a bit of an anti-climax to have an email client as the first Pick of the Week but really, read on.

I've picked this for many reasons and to list them all would bore you to death but here are the highlights as to why I think this worthy of being a Pick of the Week:

  • It's free and it's open-source. This means it costs me nothing, nada, diddly squat! I like free and the open source means the add-ons for it are excellent.
  • It's better than Outlook - bit of a sweeping generalisation but in my honest opinion it is.
  • It can do it all. Add the Lightning calendar and it becomes a real alternative to Outlook. Add the Provider for Google Calendar and you can then synchronise your calendar with your Google calendar. Let's face it the Google calendar is well backed up in terms of infrastructure so I trust it.
  • Use IMAP for you mail with you web mail provider and you don't need to worry about losing emails or backing up too religously.
All in all I love it. You might love it too and if you do please let me know about it.

No comments:

Post a Comment